Sunday, January 31, 2010

Vision Racing Needs YOU!

As you may have read elseware, Vision Racing has been forced to suspend their racing operations due to lack of sponsorship for the fast-approaching 2010 season. While it's sad when any team fails to make the grid, I'm particularly sad to see Vision stumble. When I went to the IndyCar race at Watkins Glen last year (it's become something of a birthday tradition), I went to a Tweet-Up put together by Vision's crack PR team. I got to go into the new media center, and got to relax in air-conditioned comfort with a veritable who's-who of IndyCar bloggers and fans. I even got to meet Ed Carpenter and Tony Kanaan. I got a nice William Rast hat, and got to meet a lot of really cool people. The whole thing just reinforced that Vision Racing gets new media in a way that few (if any) other race teams do. They really work hard to connect with their fans through Facebook and Twitter, and seem to have forged a really nice direct relationship with their fans.

Imagine my joy, then, when I saw this in my Facebook feed. That's right, IndyCar fans! You can help Vision make it to the grid! You just have to send along a note, and e-mail, a fax, a letter, telling potential sponsors why they should sponsor Vision Racing. I sent my e-mail already. I promise you, Vision appreciates every last letter and word of encouragement.

I really do believe that Vision Racing is conducting an important experiment in motor sports marketing. By establishing a truly direct connection with their fans, they can offer sponsors an avenue to promote their brands and products that other teams cannot. It's an important experiment, and one that deserves a full chance to succeed. So if you care about IndyCar racing, send Vision a quick note of encouragement, and let potential sponsors know that Vision is a horse worth backing!

No comments: